The Maryland School for the Deaf Board of Trustees is pleased to announce that they are now accepting applications for the MSD Superintendent role! We invite you to review the newly updated Maryland School for the Deaf Superintendent Search Prospectus. The MSD Superintendent prospectus is carried over from the previous search with some notable revisions. It includes information for potential applicants for the position including an overview of the school, a profile of the leadership characteristics and capabilities of the ideal candidate, and a description of the required qualifications and the job duties.
The Maryland School for the Deaf (MSD) Superintendent leader profile was developed in 2021 with input from nine focus groups representing a diverse makeup of stakeholders from the MSD community, including over 75 participants and over 100 responses to the community survey. The MSD Board of Trustees and the Search Committee appreciate the community’s contributions to MSD’s Superintendent search process.
The required qualifications for the MSD superintendent are:
- An individual who is deaf or hard of hearing;
- Bilingual fluency in American Sign Language and written English;
- Master’s degree in Deaf Education, Special Education, Educational Administration, Public Administration, or related field or discipline.
- Minimum of three years (3) of experience working directly with Deaf, hard of hearing, and/or special education students.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in a management and leadership role within an educational program for Deaf, hard of hearing, and/or special education students.
- Demonstrated commitment to and experience in advancing social justice, equity, and inclusion.
- Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) Superintendent I Certification or ability to earn this certification within 3 years of hire date.
MSD is seeking a leader who can:
- Build on the Strengths of MSD
- Provide Innovative, Inspiring, and Transformational Leadership
- Advance the Discipline and Field of Deaf Education
- Advance MSD’s Bilingual Education Philosophy
- Unify Both Campuses and Foster a One-School Culture
- Advance Anti-Racist and Anti-Bias Initiatives
- Invest in Community and Professional Relationships and Partnerships
- Shape and Articulate a New Strategic Vision and Future Direction
If you know of an ideal candidate who may be qualified for the Maryland School for the Deaf Superintendent, please share the prospectus with them. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com. All applications submitted by Friday, October 28, 2022 at noon, will receive full consideration. By Maryland School for the Deaf policy and search committee Code of Conduct Affirmation, all information from and about candidates will be kept in strict confidence.
Please watch for updates about the Maryland School for the Deaf Superintendent search at the following website: http://www.msd.edu/superintendentsearch/
Contact Innivee Strategies at firstname.lastname@example.org with inquiries related to the position.
About Maryland School for the Deaf
Founded in 1868, Maryland School for the Deaf (MSD) is a state-funded educational institution serving deaf and hard of hearing students from birth to 21 years. MSD serves and supports over 450 students and their families at two campuses: Frederick, established in 1868, and Columbia, established in 1973. The MSD strives to provide an equitable and exemplary education for all students in a nurturing, engaging, and challenging environment, ensuring that students achieve personal excellence and responsible lifelong learners. The mission of MSD is to provide American Sign Language (ASL) and English language models for early acquisition and to provide linguistically enriched ASL and English environments for the attainment of fluency of both languages. The Board of Trustees of the Maryland School for the Deaf is the policy-making body responsible for the school’s governance and strategic operations and oversees the superintendent’s work.
About Innivee Strategies, Inc.
Innivee Strategies provides a systemic framework for organizations to facilitate a strong strategic direction toward the desired vision. Our services include Executive Search & Transition, Governance Training & Consulting, Strategic Planning, Executive Support Systems, Leadership Development, and Guided Facilitation. Please visit our website at www.innivee.com to learn about our clients and their testimonies about how our services have benefited their organizations.